Traditional Paella from Valencia
- Chicken (700 grs, about 8 or 10 medium pieces)
- Rabbit (300 grs, about 4 or 6 medium pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon sweet red paprika
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 12 tablespoons of grated natural tomato
- Broad green bean (400 grs.).
- Butter lima beans (100 grs.)
- 3 or 4 artichokes, quartered
- White bean or tabella (100 grs.).
- Water, as needed
- Virgin olive oil (15 cl. Or 150 grs.)
- Rice (320 grs.)
- Salt to taste
1. Fry chicken in extra virgin olive oil, until crispy brown. Then, add salt around edges of pan.
2. Push chicken to edges of pan. Then, add green beans and artichoke hearts.
3. Make a hole in the middle and fry the tomato a few minutes, then add paprika and fry a few seconds.
4. Immediately add water and salt. Taste for salt. Should be flavorful! Let boil a few minutes.
5. Add rice, saffron, sliced garlic, and rosemary.
6. Cook on high heat for 8 minutes. Then, lower heat and cook another 6-7 minutes or until rice is soft and liquid absorbed.
Recipe adapted from:
If you live in the US, I made an easier version that I teach my students.