Why you’ll love this walnut pesto…
- Walnuts have a meaty texture and are a great substitute for meat (they have protein too)
- Ready in about 20 minutes
- Transports you to Sardinia, Italy
- Goes really well with red wine
- Less expensive than traditional pesto made with pine nuts and basil
SARDINIAN WALNUT PESTO
Time: 20 min.
- ¾ cup walnuts
- 3 zucchini or 1 lb. spaghetti or linguine pasta
- 6 qt. water
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 c pecorino or Parmesan, grated (optional)
Equipment: food processor or blender, pot to boil water, large saute pan to make sauce
1. Grind walnuts in a food processor or blender for a couple seconds. Not too much or a paste will form. Just until you get a crumbly texture.
2. Prepare zoodles with a vegetable peeler. Or, if using pasta, cook pasta al dente (with a little bite to it)
3. In a large sauté pan, cook nuts, garlic, parsley and olive oil on a low heat for 5-9 minutes or dark golden brown. Use a low heat to prevent nuts from burning.
4. Add spinach, cherry tomatoes, and zoodles (or cooked pasta) to the pan once pesto is golden brown. Add ¼-½ water to pan if sauce is too thick.
5. Serve with extra parsley and cheese if desired.
In this blue zone, food is always enjoyed with good people and a glass of full-bodied red wine.
View this post on Instagram
Sardinian Walnut Pesto 🌱 . Learn this plant based recipe and more from the Blue Zones! 🔵 This is featured in the ‘Cook to 100’ program. We meet each week for 30-40 minutes on Zoom. We cook, chat and support each other for living a healthy lifestyle. I’ll teach you how to cook no matter your cooking level. . You’ll learn: * How to nourish yourself by cooking for yourself * Healthy lifestyle tips from the Blue Zones (like eat till 80% full) * Some social interaction via Zoom (its healthy) * Easy, quick and healthy meals * Judgment free zone to ask all your cooking questions . Message me if you’re interested! . Music: Miami Musician: Deleted Account. #bluezones #longevity #bluezoneskitchen #plantbased #eatclean #onlinecookingclasses #onlinecookingclass #pesto #longevitydiet