This recipe was inspired by the aging bananas on the kitchen counter. Summer heat makes them go real fast so this recipe saved them. I hate throwing food away.
If you’re bananas start to get black, either bake with them or peel them and store them in ziploc bags in the freezer for smoothies. Frozen bananas make the creamiest smoothies without being too icy. Sometimes it tastes as good as sorbet!
These muffins are the perfect breakfast to-go and kid friendly too. You can sit well knowing the whole wheat is a good source of whole grains and fiber. And, besides the chocolate (optional), this muffin is 100% free of refined sugar. So, the kidos are good to go. They especially love the mini muffin version!
Banana Chocolate Whole Wheat Muffins
Makes 10 muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 large bananas, spotted black and soft
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)