If you’re like me you only crave beef every now and then. This recipe is for one of those times.
The short ribs melt down to make a thick, decadent broth. Something to be enjoyed every once in a while.
It’s been a cold winter in Southern California so I needed some warming foods like this.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It’s made for one of those work-from-home days.
It doesn’t need attending to but it goes in the oven for 2-3 hours. So starting after you finish your breakfast is a good idea. It stays warm for a while so there’s no harm if it rests a bit before you get to it.
Fall-off-the-bone short ribs
Ingredients (for 2-4):
- 1.5 lbs. Short ribs
- 3 tomatoe, sliced in half
- ½ onion, rough chop
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups water (or more as needed)
- 2 small carrots, cut in half
- 2 small celery stalks, cut in half
- ¼ bunch cilantro with stems
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 2 ears of corn, cut into ½ “ pieces
- ½ lb. Small potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Get a large pot that’s oven proof. You can also do this on the stove top at a low simmer.
2. Place roughly chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, garlic and 1 cup water in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture into the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients, too.
3. Place in the oven for 2 hours.
4. After 2 hours, add potatoes and corn. Cook another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and bone is easily removed from short rib.
5. Remove from oven. Set short rib aside and shred. Remove excess fat. Serve meat in tacos with cilantro and onions, and serve soup in a separate bowl.