This is one of the fastest lunches I could whip up. I even made the slaw ahead of time so all I had to do was cook the chicken and warm the bun.
When you’re in a pinch, this is a helpful recipe to keep in your back pocket!
BBQ chicken sandwich with cabbage & kale date slaw
2 pretzel buns
2 chicken breasts
1 Tbsp oil
1 cup shredded purple cabbage
2 cups shredded kale
2 dates, chopped fine
1-2 Tbsp. Olive oil
Drizzle of honey
Salt and pepper
2-3 Tbsp Primal BBQ sauce (I like Hawaiian style)
1. Pound chicken with mallet or large pan to flatten slightly. This helps tenderize it and cook it more evenly.
2. Heat a pan and add 1 Tbsp. oil once hot. Cook chicken, about 5 minutes per side or until internal temp reaches 165 F and juices run clear.
3. Remove chicken from pan and spread bbq on top. Let chicken cool 5 minutes then slice.
4. Meanwhile make slaw by adding kale, cabbage, date, lemon juice, honey and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Massage with your hands to break down the kale and marinate it well.
5. Heat pretzel buns or your favorite bun. Slice chicken and place in bun. Top with slaw and close with the top bun. Enjoy!