Shrimp tacos! With Red cabbage-date slaw and pico de Gallo. One of my weekly go-to recipes.
Ingredients (for 4):
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- 2 tsp. Vegetable oil
Red Cabbage-Date Slaw
- 2 oz. dates (about 4 small)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1-2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 tsp. Vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. salt
Pico De Gallo
- 3 medium tomatoes or 1 1/2 large tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- 1-2 Serrano chiles
- 2 limes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- Small mixing bowl or measuring cup
- 2 Medium mixing bowl
- Large Saute Pan, nonstick okay
- Medium Non Stick pan or cast iron pan to heat tortillas
- Large Dinner Plate
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”; amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “chefjoannas20-20”; amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = “bottom”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “search”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_title = “Shop Related Products”; amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = “vegan cookbook”; amzn_assoc_default_category = “All”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “9c6787fa1d038cef43849094f9d35dfe”;
Start with Pico de Gallo
1. Chop the tomatoes. Wash, then, take out the stem first. Chop into small pieces as shown below. It’s ok if they are not perfect. Then place tomatoes in a bowl.
2. Chop the red onion. Lay flat and cut a slice through horizontally. Then cut lengthwise but do not cut all the way to the end so the onions stays in tact. Then chop width-wise. Chop more if pieces need to be smaller. Match the size of the tomato pieces you chopped beforehand. Then place SOME onions in bowl. All of it may be too much.
3. Chop the serrano chiles. Be careful, because if the chiles are hot, your fingers may burn. DO NOT TOUCH your eyes in this step- you may never want to make pico de gallo salsa again. Do this by washing one chile first, removing the stem, and cutting in half lengthwise. Remove some of the seeds with a sharp knife-this is where all the heat comes from so the more seeds and veins you remove, the less hot the chile will be. Lay the cut side down for each half and slice lengthwise into the tiniest strips you can. Then chop width-wise into tiny pieces like below. Then, using the knife to scoop up chile pieces, place in bowl. Try to touch the chile as little as possible. Some people even wear gloves for this part. Do not cut other chile until you try the salsa and check to see if you can handle the heat.
4. Then, de-stem the cilantro. Simply, wash them and remove the leaves from the stem. Then, bunch all the leaves together tightly and chop. Throw them into the salsa.
5. Then juice 2 limes over the bowl. Make sure you remove any seeds.
6. Sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of salt- check taste before you add more.
7. Try the salsa with the chips or tortillas that you will eat it with because if the chips are salty, you do not want to add too much salt to the salsa. Also, decide if you want to add more of the onions, chile, lime or other ingredients. I prefer lots of lime and can put 3 in, instead of 2, but you may not love the citrus as much as I do. Just make it to your tastes and it will be great.
Red Cabbage-Date Slaw
Chop dates. Add dates, cabbage, 1 lime, juiced, vegetable oil, and pinch of salt to a medium bowl. Toss and set aside.
- Make the spice blend. In a small bowl add cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and pinch of salt. Mix to combine.
- Lay the shrimp out on a paper-towel lined plate to dry them.
- Sprinkling the spice blend evenly over the shrimp.
- In a large nonstick saute pan, heat 1 tsp. Oil. When hot, add the shrimp to the pan in a single layer. Then, don’t touch them. Let them brown slightly (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Remove them when they turn pink and curl up.
- Then, repeat the process with the remaining shrimp.
- When all the the shrimp are ready and set aside, heat the tortillas. Heat a dry cast iron or nonstick pan. Place tortillas on the pan and flip until they are slightly blackened on the edges. Set aside and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Assemble the taco: Lay a tortilla down flat. Add the cabbage slaw on top and avocado on top if desired. Decorate with some cilantro leaves.
You might like: