I love this combo of salmon, tomatillo sauce and roasted asparagus. I make it often for my meal prep clients.
The tomatillo sauce goes really well with the salmon because its tart and acidic. The salmon is fatty and rich so it needs something acidic to cut the fat. Adding a sauce also holds the salmon well and prevents it from drying it out when you heat it up.
Sometimes I serve it with black forbidden rice or cauliflower rice.
Roasted Tomatillo Sauce
Ingredients (for 2):
- ¾ lb. tomatillos (about 10-15), in husk
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ white onion
- 2-3 Tbsp. cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 425. Place all ingredients except cilantro on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes or husks are golden brown and tomatillos and onions are very soft.
2. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Remove tomatillos from husks and discard husks. Peel garlic clove and onion if needed.
3. Add into a blender or use an immersion blender. Process until smooth. Add a good pinch of salt. Add cilantro too and process. Spoon over cooked salmon.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”; amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “chefjoannas20-20”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “e1fbb52f8e8fff56b90faf82d62734f4”; amzn_assoc_asins = “B0049C2S32,B07WLQTCRH,B001T6JTMY,B07HQ26ZJ6”;
Ingredients (for 2):
- 2 6-oz. filets of salmon
- 2 tsp. grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper
Get a nonstick pan nice and hot. Then add the oil to the pan. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Add the salmon flesh side down first and don’t touch for 3-4 minutes or golden brown. Then, carefully flip. Cook for additional 5-6 minutes or cooked through. For more tips on making restaruant-style salmon, see a previous post here.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 bunch thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- ½ bunch cherry tomatoes
- ½-1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼-½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (Optional)
- Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place the asparagus and cherry tomatoes into a parchment lined baking tray, and drizzle with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until just tender, 12 to 15 minutes depending on thickness. Sprinkle with lemon juice just before serving.
Chef Joanna | Chef Joanna’s Kitchen
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.