I usually make this salad for fall Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving with Butternut Squash. But, I can’t wait a whole year to have this salad again. So, I use sweet potatoes or carrots in the spring or summer. And, I use dried cranberries and/or cranberry juice when pomegranate is hard to find.
The result is that same tasty salad that’s healthy and keeps me wanting to come back for more.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Perfect combo of sweet potatoes and tart pomegranate
- Using juice to make dressing is genius!
- Even better the next day
- Healthy or non-healthy eaters both love it!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Orange-Pomegranate Dressing, Quinoa, Feta, Walnuts
- ½ cup white quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 3-4 cups sweet potatoes or carrots, cut into 1/4” cubes
- 1 tsp. Sea salt, divided
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice (can use cranberry)
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (5-oz.) bag arugula
- ½ cup feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (or dried cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 425 F (218 C).
- Place cut-up sweet potato or carrots on baking tray and toss with 1-2 tsp. Vegetable oil and ¼ tsp. of salt.
- Toss and place in oven once its hot. Cook for 30 minutes at least, or until tender. (The smaller you cut them, the faster they will cook). Turn every 10-15 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Cook quinoa. In a medium sauce pan combine quinoa and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15-17 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Let quinoa cool for 20 minutes if possible.
- In a small bowl, mix the ¼ cup olive oil, ¼ orange juice, ¼ cup pomegranate juice, water, and ½ tsp. Salt and pepper. Use half the dressing to toss with the arugula. Use a little of the dressing to toss with the quinoa.
- To plate the salad, place some quinoa on the bottom of plate, then top with dressed arugula and finally the feta, walnuts, and pomegranate seeds or cranberries.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”; amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “chefjoannas20-20”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “ebf1d1dd98f277e4448b640080c8d6e7”; amzn_assoc_asins = “B0049C2S32,B016QFOIEG,B0028RXHKS,B0000CFFWN,B01HTYH8YA,B07KNTT2HN,1440574413,1426220138”;
More Recipes You Might Like:
Chef Joanna | Chef Joanna’s Kitchen