This is one I’ll sell at my future cafe something or other. I love it! Cauliflower Couscous 🌱
This is a wonderful preparation for a cold summer salad. Its delicious and refreshing straight from the fridge.
See the video below for a quick intro on the dish.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 head cauliflower, cored, riced/grated, about 4-5 cups (can use 1/2 cup grated purple cauliflower 1/2 cup grated white cauliflower, or frozen grated cauliflower)
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup water (more or less depending on the size of your pan)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds (reserve small amount for garnish)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- 1/4 cup dried apricots and raisins total, chopped small (can use pomegranate arils when in season)
- Freshly cracked pepper
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Food processor or grater (if not using pre-riced cauliflower)
- Medium/large saute pan
- Baking Tray
- Mixing bowl
- Microplane/small grater for zesting lemon
- Process cauliflower florets in food processor or use a grater to grate by hand.
- Place cauliflower florets into a food processor. Pulse several times until the cauliflower looks like a coarse meal, resembling traditional couscous.
- Steam ground cauliflower in sauté pan:
- Cover the bottom of a large sauté pan with a thin layer of water. Add salt, zest, and an aromatic herb such as rosemary, if using. Bring to a simmer, stir.
- Add the ground cauliflower to the pot, spreading it out in an even layer. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to the lowest possible simmer setting. Cover the pan and cook/steam for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove cauliflower to a sheet pat to cool.
- Brown nuts, add green onions, raisins, apricots:
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized non-stick sauté pan on medium heat. Add the chopped nuts and cook until the nuts begin to brown slightly.
- Then add the green onions and raisins or dried apricots to the pan, and stir to warm through.
- Combine and serve: Place cauliflower and nut mixture into a serving bowl and gently stir to combine.Add the chopped parsley, mint, tomatoes, cracked pepper and juice of ½ lemon. Serve warm or cold.
To your happy and healthy life,
Wanna learn more?
Follow me on Instagram! @chefjoannas
Message me if you are interested in 100% whole food plant-based, low-fat cooking classes!