Happy 4th of July! 🎉 I don’t know if I should be celebrating our independence or the first time making this pie. 😂 recipe success! This is a recipe to keep. Came out delicious and not overly sweet. My gift to you on this 4th. Enjoy! Recipe below.
Independence Day Blueberry Pie
Ingredients (makes one pie):
- 2 pie crusts (I doubled this sweet short pastry recipe)
- ⅔-¾ cup sugar (depending on berries sweetness)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp. Lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- ⅛ tsp. Allspice
- ¼ tsp. Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 lbs. (about 6 cups) blueberries
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. Heavy cream or plant milk
- 1 Tbsp. Coarse sugar for topping
- Roll out one pie dough and place in a 9” pie dish. Place in fridge while you make the filling. (No pre-bake)
- Combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, zest, spices and salt. Toss together.
- Place blueberry mix in pie shell.
- Roll out second pie crust and place on top either poke hole and fully cover with dough or do a lattice.
- Place in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Take out pie from fridge and brush with egg yolk and cream. Sprinkle sugar on top and a little cinnamon if you want.
- Bake 20 minutes (lower third of oven) at 400 F. Then, lower oven to 350 F and bake additional 35-45 minutes or blueberry really bubble. Cover with foil if it gets too dark.
- Cool 2-3 hours before serving.
|Tent some foil over edges to prevent from over-browning|
To your happy and healthy life,
Wanna learn more?
Follow me on Instagram! @chefjoannas
Message me if you are interested in 100% whole food plant-based, low-fat cooking classes!