A simple recipe for a healthier take on fajitas. No more onions swimming in oil at restaurants! This is the lean, plant-forward version of fajitas I really want when I order it.
Fajita Bowl with Guacamole
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 peppers, red, yellow, or mixed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 lb. asparagus, chopped
- Small bunch baby spinach
- 1 cup lentils or pinto beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cups brown rice or quinoa, cooked
- Handful Radishes
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 ripe avocados, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1. Make the guacamole ahead of time by combining all ingredients together. Add more lime juice or salt if desired.
2. In a large nonstick pan or George foreman grill saute all peppers and onions in a little oil. Season with salt and a little cumin. Then, add the asparagus and baby spinach. Cook until wilted.
3. To serve, place cooked lentils and cooked quinoa in a bowl. Then, top with fajita mix. Juice ½ a lime over the bowl and finish with some cilantro and pepitas. Serve alongside the guacamole, radish, cherry tomatoes and blue corn chips if desired.