I had a couple cooked beets in the fridge. While they are very tasty sliced up on their own, I felt they needed a little inspiration. The great thing is that beets marinate well, taking on the flavors of the dressings to make some pretty complex flavors.
I kept this recipe simple. The beets are already quite sweet so no honey is needed, instead just some vinegar and red onion. The best thing is that this salad gets better the longer it sits in your fridge, (okay no more than a week please) so make it ahead of time and have it ready as a healthy side. Beets are nutrient powerhouse that are high in folate, fiber and vitamin C, just to name a few!
Marinated Beet salad
- 2 roasted beets (recipe here), chopped
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- pinch of salt to taste
- mint to garnish (optional)