It finally cooled down a bit in California, for a day, so I got soup-inspired. I was thinking a nice warm dinner so this was my answer. Pretty healthy too but I won’t play nutritionist right now.
2 cloves of garlic
2 carrots, peeled
2 celery stalks
5 pieces or more Canadian bacon
3 chicken (or veggie) bouillon cubes
1 bag pre-washed kale or chard or spinach
1-2 sweet potatoes
10 cups water
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon oil
1. Chop all vegetables except sweet potato.
2. In 1 teaspoon oil, in a large pot, cook Canadian bacon until brown, then remove and set on paper towel to drain grease.
3. Immediately add onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and saute for 2 minutes. Then add carrots and celery. Saute for 1 more minute. Meanwhile, cut the Canadian bacon in small pieces and set aside.
4. Add kale and diced Canadian bacon on top. Cover with lid for 1 minute.
5. Fill with water and place in bouillon cube. Bring to boil.
6. While waiting for it to boil, microwave plastic-wrapped sweet potato in microwave at least 4 minutes. Then, carefully peel and chop.
7. After soup is brought to boil, stir to help dissolve bouillon cube dissolve. Then immediately cover and turn down to simmer.
8. Add zucchini and sweet potato chunks. Simmer until zucchini and sweet potato are tender, at least 5 minutes.