These muffins are so delicious and on the healthier side. I made these for a client but can’t wait to make them for myself. I used honeycrisp apples and didn’t bother peeling them. Worked great!
Adapted from sally Prep
Ingredients (makes 12):
- 2 cups (260g) whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (133g) smooth unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (160ml) pure maple syrup, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (80ml) melted coconut oil (or vegetable oil or melted butter)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (210g) shredded/grated apple (about 2 peeled apples)*
- optional: 3/4 cup (about 90g) chopped pecans or walnuts
- optional: 1 Tablespoon coarse sugar for sprinkling on top
• 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
• 3 Tbsp. Sliced almonds or other nut
• Pinch of ground cinnamon
• 2 Tbsp. chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½” pieces
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, applesauce, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir a few times, and then add the shredded apple. With a spatula, fold everything together gently just until combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Spoon the batter into liners, filling them all the way to the top.
- Make streusel by combining ingredients in small bowl and working the butter into the ingredients with your hands. Sprinkle bits of the streusel on top of each muffin. Can also just sprinkle tops evenly with coarse sugar or coconut sugar if you don’t want to make streusel.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F, then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C). Bake for an additional 16–18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total time these muffins take in the oven is about 21–23 minutes. (For mini muffins, bake 11–14 minutes at 350°F (177°C).)
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling, or enjoy warm.