This is a simple cake that bakes for just 30 minutes. It makes 1 9-inch cake that’s perfect to whip up right before company comes over. There’s no fuss about it and you can switch flavors for lemon zest instead of orange if you want. I love a lemon blueberry cake.
I love to serve this cake with my paella classes because olive oil and oranges are so famous from Spain. I hope you enjoy this simple but delicious cake!
Orange and Cardamom Olive Oil Cake
By Chef Joanna
For the cake:
- Organic olive oil cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Cardamom
- ⅛ tsp. Sea salt
- 4 tsp. Orange zest
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk
For the syrup:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
For the garnish:
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Parchment paper
- 9-inch round cake pan
- Sifter or fine mesh strainer
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line the bottom of a 9” cake pan with olive oil spray and parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cardamom, salt and zest.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, olive oil, sugar and buttermilk.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and whisk together. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Take cake out of the oven and wait 10 minutes to cool. Then, place on a rack to cool.
- Poke holes in the cake with a toothpick or fork. Mix together the syrup ingredients. Spoon syrup over the cake a little at a time to let it soak up.
- Let the cake cool completely. Before serving dust with powdered sugar on top. Serve with sliced orange round.
Variation: Drizzle with chocolate sauce.
- To make, heat 2 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then, stir in 1/4 cup (1.5oz) chocolate chips until melted. Pour over the cake in the center.
Yields 8-10 slices