Hello summer! ☀️ I hope you are enjoying corn, peppers and tomatoes if you like them. 🌽🌶🍅 They’re in season! Here’s a healthy and delicious way to eat them.
I’ve been on a weekday 90% vegan thing and this served as a couple easy lunches and dinners that made me full, but feel light. (I got some plantain chips too! Yumm) Hope you enjoy. 😄
🌶 Southwest Bowl with Avocado and Roasted Peppers (vegan, gluten free)
INGREDIENTS (for 1):
* 1/4 avocado
* 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
* 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
* 1 medium red pepper
* 1/2 cup green cabbage
* 2 1/2 cups kale
* 1/4 cup + 1 1/4 tbsp low-sodium salsa
* 1/4 can no-salt canned black beans
* 2 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
* 1 poblano (pasilla) chile (optional)
* Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Cook the brown rice according to the directions.
2. Roast the poblano and/or bell pepper over an open fire or broil in the oven (just a couple minutes). All the skin should become blistered and blackened. Let pepper steam in a bag a few minutes. Then, peel when cool. Use gloves.
3. Rinse all the produce. Rip the kale leaves off by hand into small, bite-sized chunks. Dice the stems. Steam the stems and the leaves for just a couple minutes, until lightly wilted.
4. Heat the corn until room temperature. Dice the red pepper and mix it in with the corn. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Dice the green cabbage into small strips. Cut the avocado lengthwise around the pit. Twist to open. Cube the avocado.
6. Drain and rinse the beans.
7. Add the steamed kale to a serving bowl. Pile on the rice, beans, and veggies. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds and optional ingredients on top. Add salt and pepper to taste with a scoop of salsa. Enjoy!
To your happy and healthy life,
Wanna learn more?
Follow me on Instagram! @chefjoannas
Message me if you are interested in 100% whole food plant-based, low-fat cooking classes!