Blueberry-Flax Orange Muffin (gluten-free)
Ingredients (makes 24 muffins):
nonstick cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups golden raisins
- 2 ⅓ cups ground flaxseed (can blend whole flax seeds in high-speed blender)*
- 1 ¾ cups oat flour (can blend rolled oats in blender)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. cloves (optional)
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- ¾ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ Tbsp. honey
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 ¼ cup orange juice (about 4-5 oranges, juiced)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Granny smith apple, shredded or chopped small
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries or blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 5 minutes, then, place in a strainer to drain them from water.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl add all the dry ingredients together and whisk- ground flax, ground oats, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves (if using) and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients- brown sugar, eggs, honey, orange zest, orange juice, and olive oil. Then, stir in the shredded apple. Whisk together well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until no dry spots remain. Stir in carefully the raisins, plus blueberries or blackberries.
- Spray 24 muffin tins with cooking spray. Fill them about ¾ the way up the tin. ( I like to put 1 berry on top so I know each muffin gets a berry). Bake for 18-22 minutes or until it starts to pull away from the sides and they are a deep golden brown. You can do the toothpick test, if it comes out clean, its ready. If its wet, it needs to cook a few minutes more.
- Leave them in the tin for 10 minutes after they come out the oven. Then, place them on a rack to cool. Leave at room temp for 3 days or share them!!
More Gluten-Free Favorites:
To your happy and healthy life,
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see it! @chefjoannas
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.