Are you looking to start your day with fiber? Well with a little more than ½ cup ground flax, these muffins will not only add more fiber to your diet but may strengthen your hair and skin, too. (Flaxseeds are one of the top of the top superfoods in my opinion)
When I have some time I make these so I can enjoy them for the week. With a little cup of fruit, I feel good eating this wholesome muffin. It has protein from the cup of yogurt and makes for a nice, filling muffin. I don’t really need to grab-and-go these days but when I was out and about these muffins were a perfect solution to start the day on a healthy note even if I was in a hurry. I store them in the fridge to keep them fresh and toast or microwave them briefly to warm them up. Hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
Blueberry Banana Flax Muffin
Ingredients (Makes 12 muffins)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- ½ milk or non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp. natural applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1 ripe banana, diced or smashed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Muffin liners or cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray (my preference) or line with 12 muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients and whisk to distribute them evenly.
- In another bowl add all the wet ingredients and whisk well. Then, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix with a spoon just until mixed in and no dry spots remain.
- Fold in the blueberry and banana carefully, not breaking the blueberries up too much. Spoon out about ¼ cup into each muffin tin. You should get a total of 12 exactly.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when tested. Wait 10 minutes, then place them on a cooling rack to cool.
- Store muffins in an airtight ziplock for a couple days on the counter or up to a week in the fridge. They can freeze well and will last a couple more weeks in the freezer.