If you’re looking for some healthy breakfast ideas, you’ve probably come across nonfat yogurt and granola as an idea.
Many of these “healthy” granolas are really just crushed up cookies. Their sugar content is so high, you might as well have a croissant or donut for breakfast.
Learn to make your own granola for the week so you can control your sugar intake.
This recipe is not very sweet, but just sweet enough. It has 3 tbsp. brown sugar plus ⅓ cup honey and yields about 6 cups granola.
If you need more sweetness, serve with fresh berries or drizzle a little honey.
Why you’ll love this granola:
- It’s less sweet than conventional granola
- It last weeks in an airtight container. You can crisp it up in the oven if it goes soft.
- A hint of spice gives it a nice flavor
- Use gluten-free oats to make it gluten-free
- It’s an instant whole-grain breakfast with yogurt or milk
Less Sweet Homemade Granola
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (Makes about 6 cups granola):
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds or pecans
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp. light or dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup dried fruit like raisins, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, nuts, coconut, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey and oil and microwave for 1 minute. Then, pour over the oat mixture and mix well.
- Spread the wet oat mixture onto the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, turning granola every 10 minutes.
- If you like your granola crispy, after 40 minutes, turn off oven and leave granola in oven with door propped open- until it cools.
- Once it’s cool, add in dried fruit.
- Store in an airtight container. It can last a couple weeks in a cool, dry place, but its best the first week. If you want to re-crisp it, place in the oven at 300 F on a baking tray for 15-20 minutes and then let cool. It will crisp once it cools completely.