I absolutely love healthy muffins. Any time I’m pressed for time and I go to Starbucks or other cafe to find a muffin, I leave disappointed. The muffin is too big, too sweet, and too processed. So, I go back to my muffin repertoire and make some healthy muffins for the week that I keep in the fridge. That way on a busy morning, I can heat one up or just take it as is and get some whole grains and fruit in for my breakfast. I like to eat my muffins with sprinkle of flaxseed and some extra berries if I’m at home. With a tea or coffee, I feel it is the perfect portion-sized breakfast and keeps me full until lunch.
I only changed the recipe slightly but want to give her credit for a recipe well done!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (Makes 12 muffins)
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (plus 1 tablespoon, divided)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (half lemon)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries or mixed berries, fresh or frozen (don’t thaw if frozen)
1. Soak the oats in milk for at least 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 F. Rack should be in the center of oven. Line muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix the 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, mix the lemon zest, butter, eggs, vanilla, and then the milk and oats mixture.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then pour the wet ingredients in and mix just until no flour spots remain.
5. In a small bowl, mix the blueberries and remaining 1 tablespoon flour and toss the blueberries in, leaving any remaining flour out of the mix. This is so the blueberries don’t sink to the bottom of the muffin when baked.
6. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes
or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.