A simple recipe for a healthier take on fajitas. No more onions swimming in oil at restaurants! This is the lean, plant-forward version of fajitas I really want when I order it.
Fajita Bowl with Guacamole
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 peppers, red, yellow, green or mixed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 lb. mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup lentils or pinto beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups brown rice or quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 ripe avocados, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
1. Marinate chicken in a large baking dish or ziploc bag for 15 minutes to 1 hour. Add orange juice and garlic.
2. Make the guacamole ahead of time by combining all ingredients together. Add more lime juice or salt if desired.
3. After 15 minutes or so, take the chicken out of the marinade and dry a bit by dabbing with a paper towel. Then, heat a nonstick pan with a little oil and saute chicken until cooked through, or no longer pink. Take out of the pan. Set aside and keep warm on a plate covered with foil.
4. In the same pan, saute all peppers and onions together in a large frying pan or in batches and set aside. Season with salt and a little cumin. Cook mushroom separate with lots of garlic.
5. Then, make the bowl by plating the brown rice or quinoa and topping with peppers, onions, mushrooms, lentils. Slice the chicken breast and serve on top or on the side.. Add cherry tomatoes, cilantro and dollop of guacamole on top.