Ingredients (Serves 8-12)
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups beef stock, divided as in directions
- 1/4 cup snipped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 medium onion, cut up
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash, cut up (1 pound)
- 3 small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 ears fresh corn, cut in 1-inch pieces
Approx. cooking time: 2 hours (but worth it!)
1. In large pot, brown pieces of meat in two batches. Then return meat to pot and add 1 1/2 cups water, and 1 1/2 cup beef stock, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
2. In a blender, place 1/2 cup beef broth, tomatoes (not drained), onion, sesame seeds, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, and cumin. Blend till smooth. Add to beef mixture along with squash, potatoes, and corn. Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until meat is tender and vegetables are done. Garnish with parsley.
3. Can be made a day in advance and easily reheated before serving.