The crust can be prepared a day in advance and buying a bag of frozen peaches saves a lot of time and effort. The pecans in the crust give the pie a great nutty texture and taste. Serve the pie chilled on a hot day with a dollop of sweetened Greek yogurt and fresh berries to kick off the summer!
Peach Pecan Pie
· 1/2 cups pecan halves
· 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
· 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 1 Tablespoon sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 4 Tablespoons butter, unsalted, cubed
· 1 Tablespoon oil
· 1/4 cup ice water
· 1 large egg yolk
· 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
· 1 cup sugar
· 3/4 cup low-fat milk
· 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (6 oz)
· 2 large eggs
· 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 2 teaspoon cornstarch
· 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, or 1/2 vanilla bean
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 2 cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen
· 2 Tablespoons chopped pecans
For 9 inch pie dish
1. To make the crust: Pulse the pecan halves in a food processor until they are finely ground, about 30 seconds. Combine the flours, sugar, salt, and pecans. Using a pastry cutter, blend the butter into the dough, then add the oil.
2. In a separate bowl add the ice water, egg yolk, and lemon juice and whisk briefly. Set aside in refrigerator until it is time to combine dough and filling.
3. Just work the dough enough to form into a ball and break up the pieces of butter. Then, place the ball of dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour, or up to 1 day. Take the dough out 30 minutes before rolling if chilling it overnight.
4. While waiting for dough to chill make the filling. Whisk the sugar, milk, Greek yogurt, eggs, flour, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and 1/8 teaspoon salt together until smooth. Set aside and roll out crust dough. Preheat oven to 400 F.
|I added the peaches to the filling to save time, but can also wait to add peaches.|
5. I recommend rolling dough out on parchment sheets. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, or in between two sheets of parchment paper. Dough will be delicate so handle gently. Grease pie dish with nonstick spray. Place dough onto 9″ pie place and crimp edges with fork or thumbs and index finger.
6. Place peaches onto pie crust, pour the filling on top. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 F. Then, scatter 2 Tablespoon chopped pecans on top and cover loosely with foil. Lower oven temperature to 350 F and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until knife comes out clean. Let cool 1 1/2 hours before serving. Serve warm or chilled. Garnish with a dollop of Greek yogurt, sweetened with some honey and some fresh berries.