Woohoo! These healthier crispy rice tuna’s came out fantastic.
@daryls15 and I started cooking LIVE during the pandemic. But haven’t cooked together in a while! This was such a wonderful reunion. We used a really great recipe thanks to @rachlmansfield .
It came out great and I’ll be saving this recipe to make in the future. Thank you @daryls15 and @matt.hacker.184 for cooking with me! 🤗🍣
Healthier Crispy Rice Recipe!
Prep Time: 3 hours – overnight
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 41 minute
Yield: Makes about 20 pieces 1x
- 1 cup short grain rice or sushi rice ( I used calrose)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb cooked crab sticks (or use sushi grade tuna or salmon!)
- 3 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos, soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (I used Fresno chile)
- Toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Place the sushi rice in a colander, rinse throughly and let it drain
- Cook rice per instructions on package
- While rice cooks, mix together rice vinegar, coconut sugar and salt in a small bowl
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl then mix the vinegar mixture in the bowl
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper then spread the rice out across so it is about 1 inch high (or however thick you want it!)
- Add the sheet to fridge to set for at least 3 hours. I like to do this overnight
- Next prepare the fish topping but cutting the crab into smaller pieces then add in the mayo, hot sauce, coconut aminos and oil and store in fridge
- Remove rice from fridge and slice the rice into 2 inch pieces
- Thinly coat a large pan with oil and heat over medium/high
- Gently add the rice squares to the pan and crisp until golden (don’t flip too soon or rice will come apart – I crisped bout 3-5 minutes on each side)
- Drain on a wire rack or paper towel lined plate/tray
- Top the crispy rice with the crab, jalapeño and sesame seeds and enjoy!