I made this dish to teach someone how to make a basic pan sauce.
If you know one pan sauce, I would learn this one. You can use it for date night or to impress a friend. It comes together in 30 minutes or less.
It’s a classic french technique that makes French food so amazing. I added some Orzo and Roasted Asparagus on the side. But, feel free to do roasted potatoes, rice or sautéed spinach instead.
Pan-Seared Lemon Chicken
Ingredients (for 2-3):
- 1 lb. Chicken breast, about 2 breasts
- 1 Tbsp. Grape seed or vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ Tbsp. flour
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1-2 Tbsp. Parsley for garnish
- Butterfly or filet the chicken. Or use mallet to pound.
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Start in a saute pan on high heat. Add oil only once pan is hot.
- Place chicken in hot pan. Brown both sides. Use tongs to turn.
- Remove chicken once brown and place on a plate. Reserve pan off the heat to make the sauce.
- Making the sauce: Once chicken is removed from the pan, add butter and flour and whisk. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until you smell a slight nutty smell. Add the chicken broth and ½ lemon, juiced and continue whisking. Scrape bits with wooden spoon or spatula. Turn heat up and boil until reduced by half and it coats the back of a spoon. Taste for salt and pepper. Add chicken back to the pan with any juices it has accumulated.
- To test the chicken doneness, insert a thermometer in the thickest part of the breast to check. The temperature should reach 165 F.
- Take out chicken, let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut against the grain. Spoon sauce over chicken. Finish with herbs.
Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- In a small to medium saucepan, bring the orzo and chicken broth to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer. Simmer and stir regularly until all the chicken broth is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup chopped basil. Taste, season with salt and pepper if desired.
Roasted Asparagus and Cherry Tomatoes
Ingredients (for 2-3):
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, grapeseed or avocado oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Trim the woody ends off the asparagus.
- Place trimmed asparagus and cherry tomatoes on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Massage onto veggies.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until asparagus turns a brighter green and is tender. Better to undercook them a bit then to overcook them.