The traditional bibimbap includes the Korean spice Gochujang. Add it to this recipe if you can but it is still tasty without it.
Make it with any protein of choice or just put an egg on it for vegetarians. Hope you enjoy it!
Korean Bibimbap (with Steak)
Ingredients (serves 2):
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. Gochujang (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. ginger root, minced
- 1 cup short or medium grain rice
- 1 lb. sirloin steak, thinly sliced (can place in freezer 30 minutes to get thin slice)
- 2 small zucchini
- 100 g fresh shiitake mushroom (3.5 ounces)
- 250 g fresh spinach (0.6 pounds)
- 120 g carrots (4.2 ounces, 1-2 small)
- Dash of sesame seeds
- 2 Fried eggs (optional)
- Sriracha (optional)
- Medium saucepan with lid
- Strainer to strain rice
- Small bowl to mix sauce
- Large nonstick or saute pan
- Microplane or fine grater
- Soak rice for 30 minutes, then rinse. Cook according to package directions. Add ½ tsp. salt to rice to cook. Rinsing makes it sticky rice.
- Combine the Sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside. I used a microplane to grate the garlic and ginger. Peel the ginger with a spoon!
- In a small baking dish, place thinly sliced sirloin steak and half of the marinade. Let marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Slice the zucchini and carrots in small strips. Slice mushrooms. Set aside.
- Cook beef: In a large saute pan or nonstick pan, heat 2 tsp oil over high heat. Let excess marinade drip off then add beef. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes until cooked and there’s some caramelized bits, then remove from skillet.
- In the same pan, cook the carrots 3-4 minutes, or slightly soft. In the last minute of cooking add 1-2 tsp. of the sauce and cook for 30 seconds to coat carrots. Then, take carrots out of the pan and reserve on a plate.
- Cook the mushrooms the same way until golden brown. Take out and set aside. Cook the zucchini in the same way but for slightly less time. Take out and reserve on a plate.
- Cook spinach for 1-2 minutes, or wilted, then sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Take out and reserve on a plate.
- Fry the egg to your liking.
- To plate, start with a large bowl. Place a scoop of rice and then top with veggies and fried egg. Serve with extra sauce or Sriracha on the side.