How to eat a Chile Relleno? This is how. Flour tortilla, grab it and rip the chile in half. It’s the most delicious way I can think to enjoy this Mexican dish. Chile Rellenos are stuffed chiles with mozzarella cheese and simmered in a tomato sauce. It’s my favorite Mexican dish ever.
I had the pleasure to share this recipe with Marta today. Thank goodness Marta was patient because the preparation took about an hour and half. I hope it was worth it for her! Grazie Marta!
This is a recipe I wanted to share with Marta because its a Barajas family classic. Always a treat for us.
Message me if you’d like more help with this preparation. It can be tricky, but once you learn it, I’m sure you will want to make it again and again because it’s sooo tasty!
Ingredients (for 4):
- 4 poblano chiles (use Anaheim if you don’t want spice)
- ½ cup chopped or shredded mozzarella
- 4 medium tomatoes
- ¼ onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- ¼ cup flour (GF flour can work)
- oil for frying
- Blacken chiles over an open fire. I use my gas burner. You can also broil in the oven. When skin is all black, place chile in a plastic bag or bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let steam 5-10 minutes.
- Then, using gloves, peel skin. Use a small bowl of water to dip your hands into while cleaning. Then, make a small slit into one side of the chile and remove the seeds.
- Fill the chile with a good amount of cheese and then “stitch up” with a toothpick or two. Set aside.
- Meanwhile blend the tomato, onion, garlic clove and about ½ cup water with a couple pinches of salt. Set aside this sauce in the blender.
- Whip the egg whites in one bowl until stiff peaks form. Then, add in the egg yolks to the whites, gently.
- Have a little plate of flour nearby to dip your chiles into.
- Heat a large frying pan with enough oil to cover the pan generously. Dip chile in flour, then egg batter, and then fry in the oil. Get 3 sides golden brown. Then, remove chile from pan and place on paper towel.
- Clean out pan with a paper towel and tongs to remove excess oil. Stand back and pour blender contents into the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Then, add chiles back into the pan. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is reduced.
- To serve, remember to remove the toothpicks! Enjoy with rice, tortillas, avocado, and/or beans.
More Mexican Favorites:
To your wholesome & healthy life,