|Steam 10 minutes|
|or Air fryer 400 F, 15 minutes (no oil)|
Vegan dumplings! I made dumplings for Superbowl once and they were a hit. Maybe I’ll do the same this year. They are incredibly addicting and you don’t have to be vegan to love these.
Tofu, Mushroom and Spinach Dumplings
Makes about 50 dumplings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (5oz./141g) package sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 (3oz.) package enoki mushrooms
- 4 leeks, green onions, sliced
- 1 (6 oz.) package baby spinach
- 1 (16oz./453g) package extra firm tofu, chopped small
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or to taste
- 1 package vegan wonton wrappers, square or round (about 50)
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”; amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “chefjoannas20-20”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “862618bf4e40a556a10fa0d4f1355429”; amzn_assoc_asins = “B08B2WGTS5,B01L9TJCE0,B083TRCKDN,B08DHXK265,B00PUZT9MU,B07VJ5LGJ9,B01MU8I6WY,B077TKPZ6Y”;
- In a large frying pan, get the garlic and ginger and nice golden brown. Then add both mushrooms and cook until softened 5-10 minutes
- Then add leeks or green onions and sauté until softened another couple minutes.
- Add the baby spinach on top and toss well. This helps deglaze the pan. Add the white wine or water once the spinach cooks down and have a high heat until liquid evaporates.
- Finally add the tofu and stir fry a couple minutes until soft. Season with soy sauce and salt to taste. (Can add teaspoon or so of sesame oil or rice vinegar if you like)
- Chop up filling or use shears to cut filling into small pieces. Cool on a baking sheet (10 minutes) or place in fridge for next day.
- Use 1-2 teaspoons to fill wonton wrappers, use water to seal. (See video at bottom to see how to fold it at 1:06:00).
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. They freeze well if you want to keep them for later.
To cook- you have options , boil, steam or pan fry. HIGHLY recommend the air fryer!!!!
- Boil. Bring large pot of water to boil first .Then Place dumplings gently into the water and cook until they float to the top and then an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Steam. Use a bamboo steam basket or metal steam basket lined with parchment paper or cabbage leaves. Place over a shallow pot of water. Bring water to a boil, then place dumplings in basket or steamer. Steam for 15-20 min, or skins are fully translucent.
- Pan fry. In a large saute pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil, and place dumplings with flat bottoms down into hot oil. Fry for a couple minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then add 3 tablespoons water carefully and cover with lid. (Stand back)
- ==>Air Fryer. Place dumplings into the air fryer without any oil or spray. Cook at 400 F for 15 minutes. They are so amazingly crispy its ridiculous- with no added oil!
- To make sauce, simply combine 2 T soy sauce and 2 T rice wine vinegar. Serve on the side for dipping.
To your happy and healthy life,
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see it! @chefjoannas
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.