Despite being a healthy chef, this recipe is pure chocolate decadence. As we approach Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras you’ll be seeing a few more desserts. Then, we’ll tone it back to more cleansing foods. 🙂 All in balance.
Thank you to Marta for sharing this family recipe with me. It’s simple- only requires 6 ingredients. Italians use simple ingredients, but know their techniques well. For this cake, it’s essential you whip egg yolks and sugar until soft, pale and fluffy. And, that you whip the egg whites until you can turn them upside down on your head (lol Marta and me did this on screen).
I hope this cake brings you as much joy as it did for me and Marta. Happy Valentine’s day. (or singles day- celebrated on Feb. 13th in Italy!)
Marta’s Chocolate Cake
Ingredients (makes one 9″ cake):
- 130g//9 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150g//⅔ cup sugar
- 200g//1 ¼ cup Dark chocolate, chips or chunks (I used 63%)
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 10g//2 tsp. Baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a water bath or in the microwave, melt the chocolate and butter together. Marta likes to melt the chocolate mostly first before adding butter.
- Separate the eggs, whites in one medium bowl, and yolks in another medium bowl.
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until pale and creamy (about 5 minutes with handheld mixer). Set aside.
- Clean the whisks well. Then, whip the egg whites until very stiff (its ready when you can turn it upside down over your head and they don’t fall out). @impastamisu loves to the #eggwhitetest this in her Tiramisu classes
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the chocolate-butter mix. Pour this chocolate mixture into the egg yolk-sugar mixture and stir in well.
- Add ½ of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate-yolk mixture and fold in gently. Then, add the remaining egg whites, gently (to keep the air).
- Butter a 9” or 9 ¼” round baking pan. Use a parchment paper to line the mold if you have it. (I use it for extra insurance)
- Pour your batter into the cake pan. Smooth out evenly with spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is dry and a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. (Don’t over bake).
- Wait 10 minutes to unmold. Then, carefully place plate over cake and invert it. Place another plate on top and invest it again so the crust is on the top. Top with powdered sugar, berries, and/or whipped cream if desired. Happy Valentine’s Day!
More recipes by Marta:
To your wholesome & healthy life,
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see it! @chefjoannas