I was a skeptic of the air-fryer for a while. It seemed like an unnecessary appliance that is big and bulky on the counter. But, this pandemic has changed a lot of things, and one of them is a new love for the air fryer. I hadn’t tried to use the air-fryer until this time and have found some pretty great uses for it. So, I wanted to push the limits. I wanted to try baking to see how it would turn out.
This is one of the best things to come out of the air fryer. Because I’m baking pastry, it almost feels as though its my Easy-Bake oven reincarnated for me as an adult. In other words, its fun to play with.
I want to share the simple recipe with you here. I shaped them like turnovers or empanadas but you can shape them anyway you like. The are hand held and will probably be my breakfast treat tomorrow morning.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”; amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “chefjoannas20-20”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “7e678bbf874736b309aacb57f1e74751”; amzn_assoc_asins = “B07WWGFK7C,B07GJBBGHG,B089NKT312,B073HCC134,B07S882M12,B08DCKXJ32,B07FRCWT1C,B000JPSI8C”;
- Cook the apples with butter, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla
- Roll out the pie dough
- Fill the pie dough and egg wash
- Bake for about 20 minutes in the air fryer
Air-Fryer Mini Apple Hand-Pies
Ingredients (makes 4 hand-pies):
- 1 pre-made pie crust dough (homemade short crust pastry recipe here)
- 2 ½ large granny smith apples, or 4 small ones, peeled and diced
- 30g (2 Tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 30g (2 Tbsp.) sugar
- small pinch salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 egg + 1 tsp water for egg wash
- Raw sugar for topping
- Make the filling by combining apples, butter and sugar into a pan. Cook on a high heat and stir for a couple minutes or until apples just begin to get soft.
- Then, turn off heat and add cinnamon and vanilla. Stir to combine. Cool the filling in the fridge until at least room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- While the filling is chilling, roll out your pastry dough in between two pieces or parchment. Get it pretty thin, about ⅛” inch. I like a circle.
- Fill with 2-3 Tbsp. of the apple filling in the center but just one side.
- Brush with egg wash on the edges . Then, fold over the dough and press tightly. Use a fork to push edges together. Then, cut any excess dough with a knife to make it even and rounded.
- Brush the top with more egg wash and then sprinkle some raw sugar on top. Make a slit on top. (Can freeze at this point and bake later).
- Bake in the air fryer for 20-25 minutes at 350F. Or, bake in the oven at 400 F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. (See below for step by step with pictures)
|Fill with 2-3 Tbsp. filling|
|Egg wash the edges|
|Close pastry on itself|
|Push edges together|
|Cut off edges to make it pretty|
|Crimp with fork to hold together well|
|Egg wash top and sprinkle sugar on top|
To your happy and healthy life,
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see it! @chefjoannas
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.