Somedays you wake up early and want to make muffins. Today, I tried a spiced carrot muffin from the Blue Zones website. So, it has whole wheat and lower sugar than typical muffins. I also added some more spice and Joanna-ness to it.
They turned out lovely, but a little more dry than a typical muffin. Using less oil always makes a drier muffin, but the flavor was spot on. I love my muffins with lots of spice.
I’m excited to put these in the fridge or freezer and heat them to eat with fruit or yogurt for the coming mornings. Below is my Blue Zones version of the Carrot Muffin. Enjoy this healthful breakfast treat.
Whole Wheat Carrot Spiced Muffins (Adapted from Blue Zones)
- ¾ cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup of whole wheat cereal, (grapenuts, flax seed cereal, bran flakes etc)
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 2/3 cup oat milk or other non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup veg oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Candied pecans top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray or using paper liners.
- In a large bowl stir together all dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, oat milk, oil and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stir until moistened.
- Fold in carrots, raisins, and nuts.
- Fill muffins tins 2/3 full. Top each muffin with some candied pecans if using.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
More Muffin Recipes:
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”; amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “chefjoannas20-20”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “25bdc121b7e5d4d123ab8f8e1aeb86d0”; amzn_assoc_asins = “B005CN5JEM,B001IANICS,B07V7G5919,B0008155N8,B0161EG5IE,B01IY6QKRS,B0000CFO2S,1426220138,1426216556”;