This recipe originally came from a friend from Dallas, Texas. But, I know that they like their sweets super sweet over there. So I cut down the sugar by half.
The result was still a fluffy cake and one with perfect sweetness for me.
I even added ½ cup oatmeal which didn’t change it too much and made it somewhat healthy. I would consider this a nice morning breakfast muffin kind of cake.
But, you can definitely add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side if you want it for dessert.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon sugar (½ tsp. cinnamon + 2 T sugar, mixed)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (can use ½ c flour, ½ c rolled oats)
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup blackberries or mixed berry(fresh or frozen)
- vanilla ice cream for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9 inch round baking dish or spray with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together ½ cup of sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the milk and combine. Then, add in the melted and cooled butter. Whisk until smooth.
3. Pour the batter into the greased baking dish. Scatter the top with the blackberries (you may not need to use all of them). Sprinkle with the 2 T sugar evenly over the top of the entire cake.
4. Bake until the edges are golden and crispy, 50-60 minutes. When 10 minutes are remaining (topping is just turning golden) sprinkle with 2 T cinnamon sugar.
5. Serve warm, with ice cream or whipped topping.
Mixed berry cobbler or pudding cake ##cake ##sweets ##desserts ##puddingcake