Last month it was my friend’s birthday and I asked her what she wanted since I would be missing it. She said “honestly, I just want you to teach me how to cook something, like a steak”. I said “sure!”
I love teaching people how to cook so that made things easy for me.
Then, I had to figure out the menu. She was on a pretty strict Keto diet, but she was willing to budge for her favorite cake, carrot cake.
The menu for dinner would be:
Butter Basted Steak
served on a bed of pureed cauliflower with Parmesan roasted broccoli
We would make a quick pan sauce for the meat and garnish with some parsley.
Below is a simple step-by-step guide on making this simple dinner that can be ready in 30-40 minutes from the start.
What you need (for 3):
- 3 filet mignon or New York steaks
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 3 T butter
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup milk
- Couple tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
1. First, take out your steak from the fridge so it won’t be so cold.
2. Break apart your cauliflower and broccoli.
Preheat the oven to 400F
. In a mixing bowl toss broccoli with oil and salt and pepper. Then lay on baking sheet. Put the broccoli in the oven for 20-25 minutes
, topping with Parmesan in the last 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the cauliflower in a pot of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes or until very tender.
3. Once the cauliflower is ready, spoon florets into blender and fill only halfway. Add a little milk and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, too. Continue with remaining batch. Check on the broccoli and move on pan if not evenly browning.
4. Get ready for the steak
. First, dry both sides with a paper towel. Then, top with salt.
Get a small frying pan very hot with a little oil and put the steaks on. After 5 minutes or a crust has formed, put a tab or two of butter. Then, tilt the pan and spoon some of the butter on top of the steak.
You can also throw in a garlic clove at this point. Continue this for 5 or so minutes depending on the steak thickness. When firm to the touch, remove from the pan and let rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.
5. To make sauce, put a little water in the pan, swirl and then take off heat. Add 1-2 tabs of butter and swirl in. Spoon over meat once it’s plated.
To plate, make a bed of cauliflower, reheat if needed, and top with steak. Put broccoli on the side. Spoon some sauce over the plate in a circular motion. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!