This recipe is a perfect one for warmer weather when lighter food seems just perfect. Fresh blueberries and lemon zest in this cake call out spring and summer. Served with a dollop of vanilla yogurt, you get just the right amount of sweetness and tartness. The recipe is fairly simple, but requires a few bowls.
Ingredients (12 servings):
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup low-fat milk *
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar*
1/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 egg white
At the end:
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar or brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 Tablespoon flour
*You can substitute 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk for these ingredients if you can find it in the supermarket
Just for the topping (optional):
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces vanilla low-fat yogurt
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 10-inch round spring-form pan with cooking spray. Cut out a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. Fold it in quarters, then cut measuring from the center of the circle. Spray paper and sides of spring-form pan. Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon flour on paper evenly.
2. In Bowl 1, add flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to distribute ingredients evenly. Set aside.
3. In Bowl 2, add milk and vinegar and let sit 5 minutes. Then, add remaining ingredients. Set aside.
4. In Bowl 3, (use biggest bowl) whisk sugar, butter, and oil by hand or with electric beaters for 5 minutes. If butter is cold, microwave 15-20 seconds. Then, add the egg and egg whites. Whisk 1-2 more minutes. Set aside.
5. Alternatively add flour mixture, then milk mixture, a little flour mix, then a little milk mix, etc. into the egg mixture. Whisk briefly.
6. Then, fold in 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries with a spatula. Be gentle. Then, spoon batter into the spring-form pan. Level out as best as possible. Immediately sprinkle 2 Tablespoons + 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg mixture over the batter evenly. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let cool 10 minutes before opening ring on the pan.
sugar and nutmeg topping
7. Meanwhile, while the cake is baking, combine the topping ingredients and store in the refrigerator, if desired.
depending on sweetness of yogurt, may need a little honey. Taste first
8. Serve cake warm or at room temperature with yogurt topping and additional fresh blueberries, or simply as is!