My least favorite thing to do: stripping down for airport security. One of my favorite things to do: mosey the magazine racks at the airport to find a good magazine that catches my fancy. This time it was Food & Wine March 2012 with the catchy title “Healthiest New Ingredients” and a mouth-watering picture of gluten-free pancakes smouthered in raspberry and peach syrup (soon to come).
I landed on this beet recipe partly because I wanted to recreate the beautiful picture, and partly because the herbs conjured up memories of cooking days in Paris- tarragon, chives, and shallots. Delicate and forgotten ingredients in America, but worth a try! and a culinary awakening!
I hope you enjoy eating your good-for-you colorful beets with this bright vinaigrette. Add beets to your anti-cancer and weight-loss diet too! The antioxidants and low-calorie benefits are just to name a few.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 bunches beets, one gold, one red (about 1.5 lbs)
- one 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 large shallot, minced
- 2 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped unsalted roasted pistachios
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. In a 8″ X 8″ or 9″ X 9″ glass or roasting dish, place trimmed beets (leave skin on), water, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Cover with foil tightly and bake for 1 hour or until very tender. Then, set aside on baking pan to let cool. Discard the liquid and spices.
washing the beets
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the white wine vinegar and minced shallot together and let sit for 10 minutes. This tenderizes the shallot. Then add the orange zest, tarragon, parsley, chives, salt, and olive oil and mix well with fork. Set aside.
4. When the beets are cool to touch, peel and slice into 1/4 ” slices. Top beets with herb mixture and chopped pistachio. Serve with goat cheese and garnish with more parsley if desired.