Honestly, one of my favorites. Who needs burritos when you got pitas? Fast, healthy, and the possibilities! I created this veggie delight when I was on a budget crunch Junior year of college, not to mention time crunch too. This reliable meal got me through heavy classes, coming back to my apartment and making a beautiful pita filled with humus, veggies, baby greens tomato, and topped with feta would lighten up my day (no pun intended). I would enjoy this fatty pita watching my favorite food network stars laughing at myself when the whole thing would fall apart, but not a bite was ever spared. Try it for yourself and tell me if you feel the same.
These veggies can be a made into a pita sandwich with humus, fresh baby greens, and feta, or topped on a salad, accompany grilled chicken breasts with couscous, or made into a grilled panino. Endless possibilities really and enormous health qualities come with them too. Only three veggies, eggplant, red pepper, and zucchini but you can add or substitute these with mushrooms, green pepper, assorted squash, carrots. Just make sure you cut each veggie to about the same time for even cooking time.
Zucchini, Eggplant, and Red Bell Pepper sliced and diced into a large pan. Olive oil then Balsamic vinegar at the end and you have a great veggie mix for salad with feta, pita, pasta, thai stir fry, panino etc. So healthy and so fresh
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 zucchini
- 4 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Chop the vegetables beginning with the red bell pepper. Remove the stem and seeds from the pepper and cut lengthwise in hearty strips.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, then cut each half into three sections lengthwise. Try to keep the thickness and size similar to the red bell pepper strips.
- Continue to slice the zucchini cutting in half lengthwise and then down lengthwise into 3 sections.
- Coat the bottom of a large frying pan with olive oil and when heated throw in the red bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes and follow with the eggplant and zucchini.
- Cook for at least 20 minutes with lid partially on, or until you reach desired tenderness.