I made this for my client the other day and it was sooo good! It’s kind of like a “pulled pork” sandwich that you would find in a proper US barbecue spot. But, it’s just mushrooms! It has a nice texture and works for me.
I got the original idea from a chef I follow- Chef Cynthia Louise. She has a great book called Plant-Based Love Stories. I changed the recipe up a little. I highly recommend if you need some new plant-forward recipes. She has a warm and loving energy.
BBQ Pulled Shroom Burger
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 package of each – Oyster, king trumpet, shiitake and button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 3-4 Tbsp. BBQ sauce (I use Unsweetened Primal Hawaiian BBQ sauce)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tomato, lettuce
- Garlic aioli
1. Slice all mushrooms. In a large non stick pan, heat oil and add mushroom and shallots. Do in 2 batches to not crowd the pan. Saute for a couple minutes, or until golden brown (7-10 minutes). It takes a little time for all the liquid to evaporate from the mushrooms. Add 1/2 paprika and salt and pepper halfway through. Then, add 1/2 bbq sauce at the last minute of cooking. Then, take out and reserve.
2. Repeat with the remaining shallots, garlic, mushrooms and bbq sauce. Then, combine all cooked mushrooms together.
3. Make garlic aioli by mincing 1 garlic clove and mix into ½ vegan mayo or other mayo.
4. Build burger by putting a little garlic aioli on each bun. Place shredded mushrooms and top with lettuce and tomato. Add more BBQ sauce if desired.
Chef Joanna | Chef Joanna’s Kitchen
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.