(In progress) Broken Quinoa Cakes. this recipe is not perfect but was still dinner. The flavor is perfect but these cakes fell apart. They still crisped up like fried rice so it was delicious. But I need to test a bit more so that they hold together.
This recipe was from my friend Daryl but I changed it a lot because I wanted to make it plant based (no egg or cheese). The substitutions don’t always work. If you want to make this, use an egg, egg replacer or aquafaba in place of the oat milk so that it holds together. You could try it with risotto rice too. If you make it as is it will still be delicious- I ate my broken quinoa cakes in a salad 😄
Broken Quinoa Cakes (vegan and gf)
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Tomato paste
- ¼ cup gf breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup vegan parm from Minimalist Baker (or Parmesan)
- 3 Tbsp. Oat milk
- Cook quinoa 1 cup water and ¼ tsp. Salt for 12 minutes.
- In a saute pan, sauté onions, carrots, slivered almonds, green pepper, jalapeño for 5 minutes.
- Then add spices, salt, and tomato paste and 2 T water. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Then, turn off heat and place into a bowl to cool. Add remaining ingredients and mix.
- Form into small patties and then place in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Fry patties on a nonstick skillet. About 4 minutes per side
- Serve with side salad with avocado and cucumber and lemon.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram! I’d love to see it! @chefjoannas