When you’re entertaining guests, it’s great to have an easy and quick dessert recipe to prepare that is on the lighter side. This recipe uses phyllo dough instead of traditional pie dough, which reduces calories. Butter-flavored cooking spray is used to reduce butter content but still give a good, crispy flavor and texture. This recipe is terrific as it can be prepared the night before, refrigerated, and only takes 10-12 minutes to bake the day of your event. They are a fun finger food too, so you don’t have to worry about cutting and serving pie or cake!
Ingredients (Makes 15, serves 7-15)
- 1 1/2 cup peeled, chopped small Granny Smith apples (About 2 apples)
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries (or frozen berries)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon plus 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 10 (9″ by 14″) sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- Nonstick butter flavored cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In medium bowl, mix apples, blackberries, lemon juice, flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
|Cutting the apples smaller is better, so they don’t poke holes through phyllo|
2. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface; lightly coat with cooking spray. Top with another phyllo sheet and spray top. Cut sheets lengthwise with a large chef knife into three 3-in-wide strips. Place 1 heaping tablespoon filling at the end of 1 strip, leaving space from the bottom. Fold one corner across diagonally and continue to fold onto itself to form a triangle. Fold like folding a flag. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and filling.
3. Preheat oven to 400º F. Lightly spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place pies seam side down on prepared sheet; spray tops with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix salt, remaining 2 teaspoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over pies.
4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool slightly. Serve warm. Garnish with additional berries and apples, or nonfat Greek yogurt.