This Frittata is another great, quick way to use the bundle of organic vegetables I pick up weekly. It is full of vegetables: broccolini, leeks, baby portobello, tomatoes, and served with a side of salsa and avocado it makes for great breakfast or brunch fare. It is high protein to get your morning started out right and gives you a good source of energy throughout the day. Make sure to get your protein in a balanced breakfast in the morning if you are trying to lose weight. Studies show eating a protein-rich breakfast keeps your blood sugar levels and cravings in check for the day. If you really need your pancakes or waffles, make it whole grain and add flax seed, chopped almonds, walnuts, or fresh peanut butter to give you that extra boost. Or try these Coconut-Flax Pancakes that are gluten-free.
Vegetable Frittata (Serves 4)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped broccolini or broccoli
- 2-3 Tablespoons chopped leeks
- 1/4 cup sliced baby portobello or button mushrooms
- 4 eggs + 1 teaspoon water (can use egg whites only)
- 1/4 cup baby tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
3. After about 5 minutes cooking and firm, use a large plate, place it over the pan and flip the pan quickly. Add another teaspoon oil in the pan, then slide the frittata back into the pan and cook an additional 5-7 minutes or eggs are firm to your liking. Check and move often to prevent from sticking. Keep at a low heat for entire cooking time. Slide onto plate to serve. Garnish with chives, avocado, and salsa if you like.