Wellness Wednesday took us to Blue zone, Loma Linda, California. A place where they outlive the average American by 10 years! One of their secrets- eating 1/2 to 1 cup of beans a day. And this recipe is one way you can introduce more beans into your diet. These No-meat meatballs are made from chickpeas. Using canned chickpeas, you can have this meal done in 35 minutes. No fancy techniques or ingredients!
This recipe is a perfect way to replace a popular dinner-meatballs with a much healthier alternative. Mixed with a tasty sauce, these no-meatballs are not only healthier but satisfying for dinner too. Pair with zoodles and quick tomato sauce, a salad or a bun for a complete meal.
Reasons to love no-meat meatballs:
- Eat as much as you want- they will fill you up
- Makes great leftovers
- Way to introduce plant-based eating to kids or picky eaters
- Put no-meat meatballs in a sausage bun with peppers and onions for vegan “junk food”
Veggie No-Meat Balls with Zoodles
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained, keep liquid
- 4 T aquafaba
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Dried oregano
- ½ tsp. Dried basil
- ¼ tsp. Red pepper flakes (or pepper)
- Serve with Zoodles and/or quick tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Mash chickpeas with potato masher or fork until crumbly.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Add more liquid if needed. Mixture should clump easily when pressed with a spoon against a bowl. Taste mixture and add more salt if needed.
- Like a baking tray with parchment paper or cooking spray. Form mixture into 1 inch sized balls (about 15).
- Bake 20-25 minute turning halfway through. Remove when golden brown.
- You can serve meatballs with tomato sauce on zoodles or in sausage bun.