I can’t think of a better way to eat berries. This crisp pie is topped with a oatmeal crumble that makes it irresistible.
Ingredients (for a 9” pie)
- 6 cups frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 in deep dish pie crust
Oatmeal Crumble Topping
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 9 tbsp salted butter
Create the Oatmeal Crumble Topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut 9 tbsp of salted butter into slices.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine 1 cup old-fashioned oats, ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ cup all purpose flour, and butter slices. Mix with a pastry blender until pea sized clumps form. Set aside and work on filling.
- Completely thaw 6 cups of frozen mixed berries. Drain any excess liquid.
- .In a large mixing bowl, mix berries, 1 cup sugar, ¼ cup cornstarch, 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp vanilla. Toss until evenly coated.
- Pour berry filling into a 9 inch pie crust. Pour berry mixture into a 9 inch deep dish pie crust.
Assembly and Bake
- Sprinkle oatmeal crumble topping evenly over the mixed berries until completely covered.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Cool for 2 hours at room temperature before serving.
*It is important to drain any excess liquid from the frozen berries.
**Resist the temptation to cut into this pie immediately. It is important not to skip cooling for 2 hours. Cooling it allows the filling to thicken.