“Rojas” literally means reds in Spanish. This rich, red molé sauce made with chili powder takes only 10 minutes and stains the tortillas red and bathes them in vibrant flavors. Baked, not fried, these enchiladas are an easy and healthy dish to add to your Cinco de Mayo fiesta!
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can no salt tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. In a small sauce pan, combine the oil, flour, and chili powder without heating the oil first. Heat slowly, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon for 1-2 minutes.
2. Then, stir in the tomato sauce, then rinse out can with water and add water also. Add the cumin, garlic powder, onion, and salt and stir until smooth. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly. Can store in refrigerator for 1 week. Use sauce to coat enchiladas.